Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword


Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword
Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry Deutsch

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



What a fantastic book. A Christmas (!) present from my in-laws, and I stayed up late to finish it. Mirka's my favorite sort of heroine: smart and stubborn. Her family is great, too, especially her not-so-wicked-after-all stepmother. The story is a smooth blend of classic fairy tale and lively originality -- the details that make it fresh and new aren't just pasted on the surface. I thought the battle with the troll was rather flatter than the rest of the story, but that might be because the rest of it is so bursting with life. I hope this is just the beginning of Mirka's story!



View all my reviews

No comments: