Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Lentil and Tomato Soup


Pouring in the lentils
Lentil and Tomato Soup (November 2011 Taste of Home)

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars












Chopping carrots
Husband is, of course, the finest chef in a generation, and particularly the finest soup chef. He got a few new cooking tools and a lot of cookbooks for Christmas, and now that the rush of present-shopping is over, he's got plenty of energy to let loose in the kitchen.




Ready to eat
Tonight's soup was a light-yet-hearty tomato and lentil from the November 2011 issue of Taste of Home, embellished with chicken-and-onion sausage.

It is, hands down, my favorite way to eat kale so far. It did have an oddly sweet taste overall, probably because so many of its ingredients (carrots, onions, the sausage, even the tomatoes) are sweet. (Of course, my palate was already ruined by oversalted canned soups -- I think I still half expect every tomato soup to be creamy and seasoned with Goldfish crackers -- and by the tortilla chips I was eating alongside tonight's soup...) The sweetness almost made it taste like it ought to be a soup for spring, not for the cold weather.

Empty bowl

But I enjoyed the whole bowl, and it was SO nice to have a grown-up meal with lots of vegetables, like we eat when we're with our parents, friends, and other Bona Fide Grownups.



No comments: