Thursday, February 02, 2012

Review: Second Reading


Second Reading
Second Reading by Jonathan Yardley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I read a little of this book while Adam was still reading it, and couldn't wait for my chance to steal it.

Lots of fun, and thought-provoking too. I want to read *nearly* every book Yardley reviews here (I'm not sure history of baseball is really my thing), and I've had a great time talking over the reviews with Adam.

Not a problem with the book, per se, but a point where I definitely disagree with Yardley (to the point where I think he might be deliberately baiting us): How can a person dismiss Steinbeck as a hack, and then praise to high heaven a paragraph about shattering "the great glass window of your idolatry" that seems pretty clearly drawn from a prep-school boy's excuse for breaking a school window?



View all my reviews

No comments: