Thursday, January 26, 2012

Review: Feed


Feed
Feed by Mira Grant

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



It's really refreshing to read a story that has important relationships that aren't teenage romantic ones. I loved the characters and the worldbuilding. Grant's gradual revelation of more and more about the world -- in parallel with the characters' learning more, but simultaneously filling us in on the background facts they already knew -- is masterful.

Feed reads like a book that was meant to be reviewed on John Scalzi's "Big Idea" feature (and I think that might actually be how I heard about it to begin with). The whole story could be the result of taking two ideas (viral zombieism and blogging journalism), smashing them together, and seeing what kind of fire they started. It's a pretty cool fire, no matter how it started.

I was actually quite satisfied with the ending to this book. There's a sequel, and I'm eager to read it, but Feed stands on its own as a complete book; it's not just the first third of a really long novel.



View all my reviews

No comments: