Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review: Triggers


Triggers
Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Read this one serialized in Analog. What a wonderful, yet frustrating story! I certainly always wanted to know what happened next, and the Big Idea of the novel -- what happens at the hospital -- is really interesting. But the ending just wasn't tight enough to do the rest of the book justice. The solution to the mystery element of the plot was revealed to the reader fairly early on, leaving me frustrated that none of the characters could seem to figure it out. (Wait, but did they ever talk it out onstage? Maybe Sawyer is giving us readers more credit than I'm assuming.) The snowballing conclusion feels right as long as you suspend disbelief, but the science just doesn't seem to work the way it does in the rest of the novel.

It's not that it's not good -- it is good. But it left me hoping for better.



View all my reviews

No comments: