Friday, March 02, 2012

Review: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running


What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I've read mixed reviews of this book -- I think some people were expecting more out of it than is there. It's a wandering meditation on running in one man's life. Sometimes his attitudes seem very typically Japanese, especially in their perfectionism; sometimes they don't. Wow, just like he's a real person or something! As a quite new runner myself, I enjoyed reading about what running feels like to someone who's run much farther, and for much longer, than I ever have. Still, even though Murakami's taken his journal entries and other meditations on running and polished them up so that they'll fit nicely together and shine, it's only a journal of a fairly ordinary runner's running. It's not gripping or intense, but it keeps on going, and you keep noticing or re-noticing things along with the author. Which is enormously satisfying, and very much like day-to-day running really feels.



View all my reviews

No comments: