Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Scored


Scored
Scored by Lauren McLaughlin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Not sure exactly when I finished this, but it was some time mid-April, and before I picked up [b:Matched|7735333|Matched (Matched, #1)|Ally Condie|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311704885s/7735333.jpg|9631645] (which allowed me to return to the library, simultaneously, TWO dystopian YA's with single-word past-tense verbs as titles).

The premise seemed a bit silly to me at first, but it's woven into the near-future-America setting in an unusually convincing way. The story is set just far enough forward that the teenagers were born about when I expect my own kids to be born; I found it less forced than usual, trying to believe that we'd accept so much change in so little time. And quite a lot of the details that seemed implausible to me can be explained by "high-pressure high school makes you a bit weird" better than by "the author missed a plot hole there."

I liked the world and the characters much better than I liked the plot, but I'm not sure how to explain why without spoilers.

Another solid, worthwhile read, if you're into dystopian YA.



View all my reviews

No comments: