Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Review: Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World


Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World
Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World by Mark Frauenfelder

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I picked this book up while I was at a conference in Ottawa; I had brought along a reel of wire and needlenose pliers to work on a project from a recent issue of Make magazine, so the appeal was obvious. I enjoyed reading this book plenty; it made me want to pick up things I'd once dabbled in (like whittling) and maybe even some things that I'm hardly likely to enjoy (making kombucha, for example). I didn't find this book life-changing or full of new information; for me, it was cozy. Mark Frauenfelder sounds a lot like my dad, except that my mom would never have let us keep chickens, and my dad is by and large more interested in more practical projects.



View all my reviews

No comments: